Marathon Oil Corporation is an integrated international energy company engaged in exploration and production, oil sands mining, integrated gas, and refining, marketing and transportation. Marathon holds a 100 percent working interest in 11 concessions in Poland, totalling approximately 2.3 million acres. It is the 4th largest US-based integrated oil and gas company, with 2009 revenues of $53 billion.
To establish and run a successful operation in a new environment – Poland, Marathon needed a reliable, quality-focused document solutions provider with industry-specific expertise and CEE market entry know-how. Marathon recognised the need to place particular emphasis on the quality of localised documentation to ensure that a number of challenges inherent to entering a new market were addressed. In developing a localisation programme, some key concerns included:
- Local stakeholder engagement,
- Technical documentation,
- Regulatory compliance,
- Data security.
Leveraging Exen’s deep expertise in the energy industry, an integrated delivery model and rigorous Quality Assurance procedures, we conducted a thorough analysis of the various objectives and requirements, which resulted in the development and implementation of a comprehensive document management programme addressing the key areas, including:
- Translation and localisation of highly technical content,
- Development and validation of subject-specific glossaries,
- Adaptation of content to particular audiences,
- Management of highly confidential data.
Marathon now has a tailored, CEE-specific document management programme which meets all of its documentation requirements. Through working with Exen, Marathon is able to:
- shift focus to core operations,
- maintain the consistency of its strict corporate governance and environmental stewardship principles in a new market,
- ensure compliance with local regulatory requirements,
- efficiently and securely manage mission-critical documentation across locations,
- strengthen its corporate role within the new community,
- uphold HSE standards and practices when interacting with in-country suppliers and service providers.